Saturday, November 29, 2008

First Two Weeks...

Well… I’ve been a first time parent since 23 August 2008. This was the day my daughter was born. And from then, it has been one ‘crazy’ journey!

The first two weeks were quite nightmarish. I had to endure the stitched wound left by episiotemy, engorgement of breast when the milk came, backaches, sore nipples, and sleepless nights (as you need to wake up to feed baby).

I would advise all mothers-to-be to engage a helper (be it your mother, mother-in-law, nanny, confinement lady, or maid) during the confinement period. You definitely need it. If you expect your husband to help, do adjust your expectation. No doubt, most husband will help (if they are considerate) but many of them are also adjusting to the new member of the family. In fact, since they do not have paternity leave, they probably can only help during the first few days. After that, they will expect you (the mother) to wake up in the nights to feed baby since you are not working.

It is during those times you need a helping hand. Good idea to express for those breast feeding and get your helper to feed at night so that you can have some rest. Also good to let your baby try feeding from bottle as I’ve seen many cases whereby babies on full direct breast feeding unable to feed from bottle until much older e.g. 1 year old. So for mothers who intend to go to work after maternity, good to express milk and let someone else feed your baby using a bottle. Of course, other times you can breast feed directly for the bonding…
Actually I don’t really buy this bonding thingy for direct breast feeding. Personally I find that feeding using bottle can be intimate too as I will have eye contact with my baby. When I breast feed directly, my baby is usually staring at my chest and not my face. Another friend of mine (who also just gave birth) concurred this as well.

Will share more on what to expect in details in the next post…

No comments:

Post a Comment